The Georgia Dental Society is historically an organization of African-American Dentists that was founded in 1937 to address the concerns of the minority dentists and the people whom they serve. Since its inception it has become a source for continuing education, scholarships, mentorship programs and community service. Our organization is actively involved in the education and treatment of the indigent population of Georgia. The Georgia Dental Society is a constituent society of the National Dental Association.
Education – The GDS offers continuing education for the dentist, hygienist, auxiliaries and office staff. Our seminars are current, enriching and diversified. The GDS offers 12-15 Hours of continuing education during the summer and mid-winter meetings. Recent past meetings have been held at such exciting locations as . . . San Destin, Caribbean Cruise-Cazumel, San Diego, Atlantis-Paradise Island.
- Annual Summer Meeting – usually out of state or out of the country.
- Welcome reception for incoming MCG Freshmen dental students.
- Mid – Winter Meeting
- Law Day – Dialogue with our state legislatures
Mentoring Programs – The GDS mentoring program serves to recruit high school and undergraduates, assisting them towards a career in dentistry. It provides dental students with assistance and direction towards accomplishing their goals and graduation.
Scholarship Programs – The GDS currently offers scholarship to dental students at The Dental College at Augusta University, MeHarry and Howard Dental schools. We also offer scholarships to dental hygiene students at various schools throughout the state.
JOIN US AS MEMBERS OF
THE GEORGIA DENTAL SOCIETY
- President: Dr. Debra Wilson-Jones – View
- Past President: Dr. Mordena Sullen – View
- Vice President: Dr. Tina Moses – View
- Secretary: Dr. Alfred Wyatt, Jr.
- Treasurer: Dr. James Barron – View
- Assistant Treasurer: Dr. Alvin Chapman – View
- Chaplain: Dr. Betty Dillon
- Parliamentarian: Dr. Kaneta Lott – View
GDS 2017 Major Accomplishments
- Educated underserved communities on the benefits of proper oral healthcare by demonstrating preventive healthcare techniques .
- Provided countless volunteer hours aboard Colgate’s Mobile Dental Van, and received the 2016 and 2017 Colgate National Dental Association’s Chapter of the Year Award for Community Outreach.
- In 2016 and 2017 11 academic scholarships were awarded to deserving undergraduate dental and dental hygiene students throughout the United States.
- Provided mentorship to numerous high school students, college students, and dental students at Howard University College of Dentistry, Meharry Dental College, and the Dental College of Georgia,.
- Offered 30 credit hours of continuing education during the Summer meeting, Fall meeting, and at membership events.
- Free CE credits offered throughout the state at Membership Initiative Meetings
SAVE THE DATE & JOIN US JUNE 5-9, 2019
GDS SUMMER MEETING
DREAMS LOS CABOS SUITES GOLF RESORT AND SPA | ALL INCLUSIVE
GEORGIA DENTAL SOCIETY SPONSORS